Search

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Customize the [Windows]+E key shortcut to open what you want

I’ve recently received several requests from TechRepublic members wanting to reprogram or customize the [Windows] key. More specifically, people have asked me if there was a way to reprogram the [Windows]+E key shortcut such that, instead of launching Windows Explorer targeted on the Computer folder, [Windows]+E could be used to launch Windows Explorer targeted on the folder of your choice. For example, you might want the [Windows]+E key shortcut to open Documents. Fortunately, I’ve discovered a way to accomplish this task by using a free utility called AutoHotkey.

In this edition of the Windows Vista and Windows 7 Report, I’ll show you how to use AutoHotkey in Vista to reroute the [Windows]+E so that Windows Explorer opens a folder of your choice. As I do, I’ll provide you with a list of all the standard [Windows] key shortcuts.